Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fantasy Football Part 4: 2013 Recap

With the Super Bowl commencing in 3 days, I felt it was fitting to recap my 2012 fantasy football season. Overall the year finished in typical fashion. One exception may have been the high level play of young QBs in RGIII, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, and Andrew Luck. As in other years, a few anomalies were present with AP having a career year and Tony Gonzalez reemerging as an elite TE at the age of 36, but a small number of anomalies are to be expected. Unfortunately, a plague of injuries kept me out of the playoffs for the first time in 4 years.


League Results (record; league standing):
  • Hawkeye
    • 7-7; 3/8
  • House of Prayer
    • 5-8; 10/12
  • Warhawk
    • 8-5; 4/12


Review of Goals:

  • Win >60% of my matchups resulting in 24-16 record (not met)
    • Combined record: 20-20 (0.500)
  • Finish in top half of each league (not met)
    • 2/3

Concluding Thoughts:
  • Overall
    • I really thought Collie was going to be a great value. I thought both him and Wayne would have good seasons, but planned on getting Collie much later. Unfortunately he never played a game… tough break.
  • Hawkeye League: 7-7; 3/8
    • Very impressed with my performance. As mentioned in Draft Planning this is a very competitive league and I was stuck with what I considered the worst draft position (8/8). The draft position lived up to my fears with Stafford finishing as the 10th best QB and Chris Johnson finishing as the 11th best RB. (drafted as 4th RB and 4th QB off the board)
    • Draft Review
      • Rivers was a huge disappointment.
        • Stuck to my guns though and went with 2 good QBs.
        • I still like taking a QB here, just took the wrong one :/
    • Standard injuries with losing Percy Harvin (PPR league), Peyton Hillis, and Austin Collie.
  • House of Prayer: 5-8; 10/12
    • Frustrating year with House of Prayer. A few draft mistakes combined with a case of the injury bug was too much to overcome. Given only one setback (draft mistakes or injury bug), I believe I would have had a very solid team. Green Bay's injuries really hurt me :(
    • Draft Review
      • As expected Isaac Redman was a wasted pick (see Draft Analysis)
      • Should have drafted D. Thomas rather than Jordy Nelson.
        • Same risk, higher reward with D. Thomas.
      • Rivers was a mistake, was hoping for trade bait with him, but didn't realize Romo and E. Manning were still on the board.
      • Sadly would have possible gotten Doug Martin…
    • Injuries: Greg Jennings (9), Jimmy Graham (2), Jordy Nelson (5), DMC (5), Austin Collie (16), DHB (3), Cedric Benson (12), Rashad Jennings (6), Ryan Williams (11).
      • (x) indicate number of games missed
  • Warhawk league: 8-5; 4/12
    • Went as expected, weak competition leading to good record. Shorted myself on RB thinking Forte and Matthews would both be locks. Unfortunately Matthews was terrible (1 week of double digit points).
    • Draft Review
      • Matthews disappointed, would have still been a sucker though. I had Matthews as a top 8 pick before collarbone injury. Getting him with the 34th overall pick would have been irresistible for me.
        • Also took Philip Rivers as my backup QB, the San Diego Super Chargers were a major disappointment.
      • Matt Ryan and D. Thomas were strong picks.
    • Standard injuries with Jordy Nelson banged up.
    • Being a keeper league I am a little weak with my 2nd keeper. This is normally okay and I am very happy with having Calvin Johnson as a keeper, especially with QBs getting added depth next year.

Adjustments for Next Year:
  • No major changes, I am very pleased with the current draft system.
  • Outside of AP, Foster, Rice, McCoy (in PPR leagues), continue with punting RBs.
    • Just too many injuries, time shares, and potential waiver wire pickups.
  • I still believe drafting a top 3 QB in the middle to late first round is the way to go. For standard leagues (10-13 QBs) can wait a long time on QBs after first 3. In 2 QB leagues will still want 2 solid QBs.
    • Quality QBs


All things considered (btw, I’m becoming a fan of NPR programming, although I am completely against the government subsidies used to fund it), the 2012 Fantasy Football Season was by and large a disappointment. Missing the playoffs really bothers me, and my 0.500 record adds insult to injury. Plans for next year include participating in same leagues and sticking with the same draft strategy. Next year I will detail how I plan to win my fantasy football leagues without watching any NFL games. With the Super Bowl commencing in 3 days, I predict the Baltimore Ravens win by 4.



Next Week's Topic: Private Charities Part IV: The Social and Freedom Reasons

No comments:

Post a Comment