Thursday, September 18, 2014

Fantasy Football 2014: Draft Recap


A fantasy football draft is akin to building a house and the season a time of weathering. Time will tell if I built a house of straw, sticks, or bricks. My initial impression is my planning, preparation, and discipline enabled me to build a brick house to endure the winds of injuries, suspensions, depth chart changes, and a world of unknowns.

Please refer to Draft Prep for league details and draft strategy.



LDF -

Overall: A
  • Missed on Brandon Cooks
Individual Picks: A-
  • Minor mistake in round 10 (Cooks)
Team: A-
  • A little too much risk with young RBs


Good:
  • First 7 rounds went as good as could be expected
  • Pulled trigger on Patterson at 37 overall.
    • Patterson highlights the need to know your league’s scoring system. I see lots of mediocre WRs between picks 30 and 60. This league is non-ppr, gives points for kickoff returns and punt returns, and allows for 2 keepers per year. All of these factors increase Patterson’s value.
  • Took value when it fell to me (Brady at 79 overall)
  • Solid RB core with Ball, Ellington, and Jennings

Bad:
  • Took Mark Ingram (who I like) rather than Brandon Cooks (who I really like). The points for return yards and keeper potential make Cooks a better option at 109.

Ugly:
  • Teams left without RBs
    • 1 team forced to start Sankey with no third. Another starting Lamar Miller with no backup (prior to Moreno injury), a third team starting Joique Bell with Mike Tolbert as third
  • I have Heath Miller as my TE. I would have preferred better, however, I made the decision to trade for one later
  • Out of my control but I lost Andre Williams as a handcuff to Jennings prior to my pick at 108


Final thoughts:
  • Lots of risk in unknown players: Ball, Ellington, Patterson, Rashad Jennings  
  • I need to remember the majority of people take a backup TE and take my starting TE earlier in the draft




Bemidji -

Overall: A+
  • Stacked team. I will be shocked if I don’t make the playoffs. I anticipate a 55% win rate in non-bye weeks and a 60% win rate during bye weeks as my bench is amazing (Ellington, Rashad Jennings, Michael Floyd, Wright, Pierre Thomas)
Individual Picks: A+
  • Limiting to factors in my control, I would not have done a single pick different.
Team: A+
  • Difference makers in Calvin, Dez, Murray, Stafford, and Gronk. Additionally, I have a very deep bench that should allow me to make and have a small edge in the playoffs.

Good
  • Every pick starting in round 7 (overall pick 53) I was saying, “how in the world is this player still here.”
  • Gronk, Brady, Ellington, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Pierre Thomas, Golden Tate, Rashad Jennings, Roethlisberger, Cooks
Bad
  • Inaugural year of the league. Rule voting left rosters with only 1 flex position (rather than 2). A meager 72 skill position players (QB, RB, WR) are started each week. This means every team is stacked to some degree.
  • Lots of overlapping players – 3 patriots, 2 Lions, 2 NYG, 2 Cardinals, 2 Cowboys
    • Fortunately none of these teams share bye weeks
Ugly
  • 6 kickers taken before the final 2 rounds
  • Too many good players left on the waiver wire will bail out the teams who drafted poorly
    • Kelvin Benjamin, Reuban Randle, Sankey, Steven Jackson, Carlos Hyde, Justin Hunter, Boykin
      • After the first 2 weeks does not seem many of these are that great…
    • Although more on the wire: Gerhart, Terrance West, Bernard Pierce, Lamar Miller, Zac Stacey, Jeremy Hill
  • Someone dropped T.Y. Hilton who is tied for 5th in targets after week 2. As much as I like Cooks, I had to drop Cooks to pickup Hilton.

Final Thoughts
  • 1 pick away from landing Antonio Brown at pick 28 (4th round) 
  • Taking Stafford at 21 overall (3rd round) was my least favorite selection. Part of me wishes I went Antonio Brown. I could have chosen to roll the dice with Brown and hoped Stafford fell back to me. I will never know. I think Stafford was the safer pick rather than going 3 straight WRs (consistent with valuing flexibility as discussed in Draft Prep). 
    • Taking Stafford still allows me to rotate Cruz, Michael Floyd, Wright, and Golden Tate in my WR3 and Flex position.


While I felt and still feel great about my drafts, results after 2 weeks have been okay:

Overall Record: 2-2
  • Bemidji League: 1-1
    • Week 1: Scored 188 points, second most in the league and lost.
    • Week 2: Scored 147 points, 4/8 in the league and won thanks in large part to opposing team having both Charles and A.J. Green who were injured
  • LDF: 1-1
    • Week 1: Won my LDF league by scoring 116.5 points (3/12 teams in total points).
    • Week 2: Put up 64 points, the least in the league...

Although I am off to an okay start, there are many more weeks and headlines to shake things up. I anticipate my deep benches will allow me to hit my stride during the 9 weeks teams have their bye weeks and will reveal who has houses built of straw, sticks, or bricks.


Next Post Topic: Minimum Wage Part V: Politicians, Middle Class, and Foreigners

No comments:

Post a Comment