Thursday, July 4, 2013

Gardening Part II: Gardening Goals

SMART Goals. Specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time bound. I love setting goals and am a supporter of using the SMART model of goal setting. 2013 is my third year of gardening. I believe I am turning the corner of becoming a successful gardener. I had no goals in 2011, one goal: preventing deer from eating my garden, in 2012, and have established the following as my goals for 2013, 2014, and beyond:

2013 -
  • Profitable (even if minuscule)
    • Current progress
      • Expenditures: $40.96 (excluding rain barrels)
        • Does not include time or water
      • Revenue: $22.00
      • 53.6% of the way to turning a profit as of 7/14/13
  • Garden size > 200 ft2
  • Learn how to grow plants from seeds
  • Build and test rain barrel
Russ' Remarkable Rain Barrels :)

2014 -
  • Garden size > 300 ft2
  • Return on Investment (ROI): 3:1
    • I believe 2014 will be a breakthrough year. I feel I have learned enough to start maximizing production and many of my upfront costs out of the way.
  • $1 per square foot ROI
    • Cost effective plants via Cheap Vegetable Gardner
    • I utilize ~75% of my garden for planting purposes (25% for rows)
    • Need ~$1.33 per square foot of growing space
    • Thus (for 2014) 300’(0.75) x $1.33 = $300
  • Transplant rhubarb/asparagus
    • ~10 ft2of rhubarb and 15 ft2of asparagus


Long Term -
  • Increase garden size by 100-200 ft2 per year
  • $1.5 per square foot (total ft2); $2 per planting square foot (excludes rows)
  • Greenhouse effect
    • Living in northern Minnesota I need to lengthen growing season
    • Expensive, will need to do research
  • Self sufficient garden with use of composting

Please send me pictures and your own gardening goals (past, current, or future) you may have. I look forward to evaluating if I met my goals in the fall!


Next Post Topic: Fantasy Football: How to Win Your League Without Watching Any Games Part I

1 comment:

  1. Russ, for Rhubarb, only plant one or two plants. You have to bake it into something sweet to make it taste good, or drink it in a green juice drink I suppose. Don't waste 10 ft squared... two plants will take about 18 cubic feet, 3 feet x 3 feet each plant. Mom

    ReplyDelete